OHO Award 2023 – Open Call
Zavod P.A.R.A.S.I.T.E., Ljubljana in cooperation with the Residency Unlimited, New York and the Trust for Mutual Understanding, New York announces a call for applications in the competition for OHO Award 2023. The public competition for the OHO Award is intended for young visual artists under 40 years of age (including those born in the year 1983).
The award is given for a quality and innovative art work created within the last two years. Applicants may submit works in the media of painting, sculpture, graphic prints, drawing, installation, photography, video, new media and performance art. Artworks from the field of applied arts, design, theater and film are not applicable for this competition.
OHO Award 2023 Jury: Alenka Gregorič (artistic director, Cukrarna, Ljubljana), Marko Košan (curator, Koroška galerija likovnih umetnosti, Slovenj Gradec), Maja Hodošček (visual artist and curator, Center sodobnih umetnosti, Celje)
COMPETITION RULES AND REQUIREMENTS
- The award is intended solely for individuals.
- Applicants must have worked professionally for 3–5 years (after finishing their studies) and must have already participated in several group or solo exhibitions.
- Applicants must have a good grasp of English language.
- Finalists will be selected on the basis of their portfolio and the final exhibition. Newly created or otherwise non-exhibited works will not be decisive factors in the final selection.
- The competition finalists will be interviewed by the jury, partially in English language.
- The organizers and the leaders of the Young Visual Arts Awards program have the right to reject an applicant who is inadequate, who is not sufficiently prepared for the residency or who does not have a sufficient mastery of English language.
- Artists may apply for the competition separately, either through an institution or as individuals.
The international expert jury will select from the applicant projects four (4) finalists, who will present new or still non-exhibited works in May 2023 in the group exhibition. From among the finalists, the expert jury will select and declare the winner of the OHO Award for 2023. The organizers of the OHO Award competition provide the winner a two-month artistic residency in New York, USA at Residency Unlimited and a solo exhibition in Ljubljana (P74 Gallery). The recipient of the award is obligated to travel to the USA to participate in the residency in the selected time period and upon returning, prepare a solo project in Ljubljana.
Applications for the competition OHO Award 2023 must contain:
- Personal data: first name, family name, address, telephone number(s), email.
- A short professional CV (in Slovenian and English languages) which must include the artist’s year of birth!
- Documentation about the submitted artworks, marked with all the pertinent details about the author and work (address, year of creation, technique, dimensions, where the work was exhibited). Documentation can contain digital images. Photographs of the submitted artworks should be high quality (300 dpi, max 3MB).
- A mandatory statement (max. 1 page) must also be submitted by the artist about his/her artwork or by the applicant in explanation of the artwork. The statement must also be translated into English language.
The above mentioned application elements are required. Incomplete or insufficient applications will not be accepted!
Send the application and all required documentation in electronic format (zip, rar, pdf, jpeg) on e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants may also submit additional documentation (catalogs, texts and related) on address: Zavod P.A.R.A.S.I.T.E., Galerija P74, Trg prekomorskih brigad 1, 1000 Ljubljana.
Submitted documentation will not be returned and remains in the archive of the archive of the OHO Award. Original works, incomplete, insufficient or late applications will not be considered in the selection.
For all additional questions, please contact us by mobile phone: +386 (0)40 370 199.
The competition will be open until 10 March 2023. Results of the competition will be announced to all applicants by the end of March 2023.